Friday, March 30, 2007

The Competition!

The day started off at 6:00 to the rude awakening of my alarm.

After eating, putting out the horses and loading all my tools it was off to the college!

When we got there I went to Jeff's first class with him, because my competition didn't start until 9:00, So i had 1.5 hours to kill with him. All they were doing was taking up a test, so I studied a bit(by reading a quad book).

At 9:00 i went to Jeff's truck and got all my tools into the shop, and signed up. After that I got my blue print, and was able to start picking out my lumber.

We had to build a 4'x6' deck 1 foot off the ground, with a set of stairs up to it. So i didn't waste anytime i got my 2x4's and started cutting the legs and screwing them together, then built the frame, and screwed in the joists. That took about a hour, then I started cutting the 45 degree angle deck boards that went along the outside, and after that it was lunch time.

They had sallad, and sandwhiches for lunch. So i loaded up, and went to find Jeff because he was on his lunch break aswell. I found him and told him how it was going then in no time lunch was over, and it was off to do the written test.

The written test kinda sucked because we only had 20 mins, and there was questions that asked us to calculate the amout of sheating needed for a house 100ft by 60ft, and 8ft tall. But they wouldn't let us use calculaters, so it took a bit to work out the math. and they also had a lot of building code questions on it, but I did ok with that.

After that I had the interview which went really good, I was the only one with a whole portfolio(it's just a whole book of certificates and awards).

Then it was back to the shop to finish my deck! I cut the deck board to fit inside the frame, then built the stairs. I finished just before the deadline. But some ppl were still building after the deadline which I thought was unfair. A deadline is a deadline right?

I was walking around after i cleaned up my spot, and tools, and I heard some of the shop teahcers telling their students what to do, and that kinda made me mad, but if they wonna cheat thats their problem..


So on Thursday I went to a big dinner hall where they announced the winners from each contest(welding,cooking,carpentry, graphic design, and team carpentry). After the dinner they announced the winners, however I wasn't one of them.

The same guy who won last year won again this time, and I think he was a few years older then the rest of us. And the kids who took the 2nd and 3rd prizes were the kids who had shop teachers coaching them, and one of them was still building after the deadline. But whatever. I still had fun and am looking forward to next year!! and the prize wasn't money, 1st prize was a 10" chop saw with stand. And i already have a 12" dual sliding compound chop saw which is better LOL suckers..

And 2nd and 3rd prize was a jig saw, and sander...
Next year I want to go in the same contest, and find someone to go in the team carpentry with!

K that's a new post for guys.. It will have to do for a bit..
oh i took pics but it won't let me load them:-(

36 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, March 31, 2007, Blogger ~Marie~ said...

Wow, Good post James! It sucks you didn't win. At least you had fun!!!

Btw, I thought I'd let you know that I'm still mad at you for Thrusday night...it's going to take a while to wear off.

 
At 1:18 PM, March 31, 2007, Blogger Mark <> said...

awesome post, James.
too bad you didnt win, but sounds like you had a great time!

that is soooo cheap, those suckers who cheated. Like, that's not winning fairly.

what didja do to her James?????
now I'm curious. :-)

 
At 9:55 PM, March 31, 2007, Blogger James Zegers said...

I am sooo sorry Marie, What do I have to do make it up to you??

It couldn't have been that bad without me..Everyone else likely thought it was better without me too right lol

 
At 10:21 PM, March 31, 2007, Blogger James Zegers said...

Was Monkey there?

 
At 2:53 PM, April 02, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

Good post! I'm said you didn't win, that is pathetic that the others did when their teachers helped them. Ah well...

Are you mad at me too Marie? I would have loved to be there you know... :-D

Yah Monkey was there, I got stung when I went to yp on Friday.

 
At 2:55 PM, April 02, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

*sad* my bad.

And yah James I'm sure we weren't missed too much. Maybe the class was under control for once? Wait, Marie was still there, maybe not...

 
At 5:04 PM, April 02, 2007, Blogger James Zegers said...

Hey Melissa, I'm going in "The Battle of the Bands" at school, I found a bunch of guys to play with. So it's gonna be awesome!!!!!!

 
At 7:38 AM, April 03, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

G-hod that is awesome!!!!

(Except I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. :-D )

I ca'nt wait to come next year...

 
At 10:29 AM, April 03, 2007, Blogger Janelle said...

Thats awesome man!!!!!!

u don't knwo what eh is talking about mel??? i thik u should go back to bed!!!

 
At 3:39 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger James Zegers said...

Ok Melissa, let me enlighten you.

It's when all the bands school play a couple songs for the school to hear, then everyone is judged. The winners get $2500...


Not we just win bragging rights lol but it'll be fun playing for ppl.. You can go in next year with me k

 
At 4:21 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh that.

Yes...for sure I'll join next year! But I'll probably lose. :-) Depending on what I play...

 
At 7:47 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger Heidi said...

Nice post... sounds like an awesome thing to do!

But yeah that sucks about those kids.

That's cool... are you doing anything for AOC Melissa?

(if we get in...)

 
At 3:56 PM, April 05, 2007, Blogger James Zegers said...

I had a brutal day at school today.. A math test on stuff we were never taught, and only half the class time to do it..
Then I was soooo close to punching the crap out of a kid on the bus because he was trying to take my guitar.. Grrrr

if it happens again I'll spaz...

Melissa High school sucks, don't come..

 
At 4:20 PM, April 05, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:22 PM, April 05, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

Aw, muuuuuffin! lol :-D

James, when I come to school I'll be there to cheer you up and fend off all those guitar-stealers okay?

We will have fun. And believe me, I'd much rather go to school...

 
At 7:25 PM, April 05, 2007, Blogger Janelle said...

och that soo sucks!!!!

r u serious mel??? i think homeschooling rocks altho it would be cool to try going to!! but i don't think i would liek it as much!

 
At 9:36 PM, April 05, 2007, Blogger Heidi said...

For the school aspect of it, of getting to university, I'd rather go to school... everything else Homeschooling is awesome!!!!

 
At 7:35 AM, April 06, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

If you actually have a group that does stuff yah then homeschooling could be cool.

Personally...my room is a penitentiary. I'm definitely looking forward to school...but that's just me.

 
At 1:30 PM, April 06, 2007, Blogger James Zegers said...

You won't like after a couple weeks Melissa.. I loved it for awhile but now it just sucks most of the time..

i'd much rather homeschool again if I had a choice

 
At 9:58 PM, April 06, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

We'll have to find out I guess eh?

:-)

 
At 12:25 PM, April 08, 2007, Blogger James Zegers said...

yep,

Hey how was your pizza the other night??? I had to get it with your dad and he was mad because they messed up the order haha

 
At 4:14 PM, April 08, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

You had to get it with my dad...what, was he scared? ;-)

Booyah, pizza is always good, except that it was a bit cold, and didn't have dip, and it wasn't enough 'cause they messed up the order...

BUT...it didn't have bananas in it! SCORE! lol :-D Haha. Yah it was good though.

 
At 11:21 AM, April 10, 2007, Blogger James Zegers said...

I went to the cabin last night with Jeff, Jers, and Matt. it was awesome, we cooked supper over the fire and everything.. I love it

 
At 10:37 PM, April 10, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

I knowed that. Lucky.

Hey, I give you permission to do a new post now. lol :-)

 
At 7:26 PM, April 11, 2007, Blogger James Zegers said...

I know. I have sooo many pics to post, but my computer won't let me

 
At 7:34 PM, April 11, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

Then blow up your computer.

 
At 9:26 PM, April 11, 2007, Blogger Janelle said...

like that would help mel!!

Duhhhhhhhhhhh:D

 
At 3:42 PM, April 12, 2007, Blogger James Zegers said...

ya Melissa, sometimes I wonder where your head is lol..

My music class had a Band festival today, so I got to skip ALL DAY to go to Cobourg. It was fun, even better than last time!! and we did really good..

 
At 7:00 PM, April 12, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

Duh back to you both. Don't you know anything? I'm brilliant, that's why I'm so smart.

That made so much sense.

Lucky James! Hopefully next year I can go...

 
At 2:55 PM, April 13, 2007, Blogger Mark <> said...

Sorry Melissa, that made no sense at all.period.

art thou in a weird mood??????

 
At 3:18 PM, April 13, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

Heh, yah, I suppose you could say I was.

But amn't I usually?

Ok, maybe not. Whatevah.

 
At 11:35 AM, April 14, 2007, Blogger Mark <> said...

Yes you are like that all the time.


new post??!!!

 
At 7:55 PM, April 16, 2007, Blogger James Zegers said...

Ok ppl I'll try to get a new post for you guys soon.. promise

 
At 7:39 PM, April 19, 2007, Blogger Heidi said...

how soon is soon?

:-P

 
At 11:32 AM, April 21, 2007, Blogger ~Marie~ said...

Not that soon...I guess.

 
At 12:31 PM, April 21, 2007, Blogger James Zegers said...

C'mon girls give me a break, I've been busy.. I would post now, but I want to go wash the dodge more.. so see ya lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home